I'm an Old Maid!

Now that we are finally in the car on our way to UCLA sitting in Traffic at 10:45 am for NO apparent reason, I begin my usual round of questions about how she's been feeling so I can compare that to what she tells the Dr. It's all more of the same, her shoulder, her knee, her wrist, but it's all pain she's used to so she just ignores it... but we still go to the Dr. every 2 months. I also take this time to inquire about all the notes I see on her Kitchen table this week, Cancel Reverse Mortgage... So I ask her why she wants to do this. I guess she's been thinking about the future and what will happen to the house and where my uncle will live and what all that entails. I am not familiar enough to know how this effects us but I guess we should learn about it.

This conversation then triggers a memory of when my dad and uncle were kids and she used to give them a $10 allowance and they had to learn how to budget their money for what they wanted to buy. She went on and on about how much fun this was and how much they looked forward it and how good my uncle is with his money now. Then in a very matter of fact tone she says to me... "it's a shame you won't ever know what that feels like"... It was like a slow smack in the face, I didn't see it coming till her hand was on my cheek. I was thinking it was a slam on how I manage my money, which would be a lie because I am very good with the little money I do have. So I have to ask "WHY won't I know what this feels like"?  She responds, "because you won't have any kids" again in a tone that I have no idea what to do with. The conversation continues as I have to ask "AND... WHY... won't I be having any kids"? Taking great offense! Now she tells me because I don't seem to want them and I'm not getting any younger... This is the time that I ever so gently remind her that I am only 28 yrs old... the SAME age she was when my dad was born and that she was 30 yrs old when my uncle was born so in my book I am way ok!

She then asks me "well do you want kids?" Yes, I say eventually. But I would like to have a steady income, move out of my moms house and possibly, just maybe a husband... This then cycles into a whole conversation about how I'm so behind because I don't have a BF or "donor" so then I have to tell her that I do, but I typically don't start my relationships with Hi, wanna have babies with me?  Luckily for me her phone rang and the conversation ended.

Once we finally arrive at UCLA I tell her I'm gonna drop her off in the front so she can walk up and I can go park the car. I tell her the 3rd floor and she just has to walk out to the right and she's in the Dr.'s office. Simple... Right...

I park the car run up to the office and she's not there... I ask the front desk if she checked in and they say no. So I mildly panic turn around and walk back to the elevator and there she is. She was going up and down because she didn't know where the 3rd floor was. The appointment went as usual and as we go to check out and schedule her next appointment for October. There is a back and forth conversation about what dates going to work between my work & vacation and the guy asks me how old I will be, when I say 29 they are both left with their jaws open. This to which I say yep! and grandma thinks I'm an old maid! They laugh and the lady tells grandma, she's still young, there's no hurry!

Oh the adventures we have...
 


Comments