Memories of my grandfather(s)

On this Father's day I've been doing a lot of thinking about my Grandfather... Not my mother's father because my memory bank is filled with memories of my childhood adventures but my Father's Father.

Normand Thomas Howard is My Grandfather, I never knew him

He may have not been the best father and I'm sure he if I asked my uncle about him he would have a few choice words to say to describe the type of father he was or lack there of... My Grandmother raised my Dad and Uncle alone when they were just teenagers. Before my Dad passed he and I had a conversation about him wanting to locate his father, so he asked me to do some research on the Internet. I discovered then that he had passed away in 1978. 4 years before I was born. My Dad had no idea. For the last 9 years I've never really given it a second thought until this year. The sudden curiosity just over took me so I decided to see what else I could find. I registered with ancestry.com to see what I could dig up and I was a little surprised by what I found.

Grandma with husband 
I was able to find his Death Registration and discovered he died in March 1978 in Roseburg, Douglas, Oregon. He had a new wife and her name is Wilma. He is buried at Roseburg National Cemetery and Served in the Navy in 1946.

This is all new information for me and I wish my Dad was hear so we could talk about it. I am curious to know if he had other children and where they live. Do they know about my Grandma and the family he had here? Do I want to find them?

I know I can't bring him up to my uncle because he wants nothing to do with him, grandma doesn't really care and I don't really expect her too. So I'm just left wondering what to do with this information. Should I care about a man who didn't care about his family?

Grandfather

In this search I also discovered my brother had never even seen a picture of the man who created our father and he had no knowledge of what he even looked like or his name. So in memory of our father, should we together, walk through this window of our family history? After all without him we Howards would never have existed...

Comments