Remembering Daddy Mando

In other Granddaughter related news: Today marks the 10th anniversary of the passing of my Grandfather, DADDY MANDO.

Armandito the Great as he called himself, was the best grandfather a girl could ever have! He took me to school from my days at head start straight through until my Senior year of High School. I believe he wanted to go with me to College but it was time for me to fly on my own.

I was lucky enough to be raised by both him and my Mama Chusie, and I was able to travel every summer with them. I've been to Mexico, and New York/New Jersey, New Mexico and Colorado because of him. Even though each trip had some adventurous misfortune when I share my stories I can't help but laugh.

Like the year we spent a month in Mexico and I was attacked by Mosquito's and caught the flu, we drove to Texas, tried to see a Dr. but they wouldn't admit me. We drove to a friends house where I threw up ALL over the couch. Then he drove all night to get me home to my mom. I think I was about 7 yrs old. Oh the Drama of it all!

Then there was the time we drove to ValleHermoso, Mx to visit his older sister. We decided to go to the beach, and he wanted to take the El Camino on the sand... Bad idea. Luckily there were about 10 other genious' that had the same idea, they all helped each other. Meanwhile, My mom took us kids down to the water and we ate avocado sandwiches. Let's not forget the trauma of seeing ginormous cockroaches with wings mating on the wall, oh and tricking him into leaving a day early because we had had about enough!

When I was 17 I started driving. I had asked to have the El Camino. He gave it to me and within 6 months I wrecked it! We rebuilt it together. He stood over the hood yelling at me underneath the car trying to get the radiator back in. It was a proud moment for me. Also a time where he told me I wasn't as dumb as I looked... Words of love from a grandfather...

These are just a few of my happy memories and I'm glad I was able to share them with him.

Armando Valdivia
Rest in Peace

Love you always, Marissa Lumbrisa!

Comments