Maybe I'm loosing my Mind!

Sometimes I wonder if maybe it's ME!! Maybe grandma is FINE, maybe this is all just normal behavior...


Or maybe it's not...


Last week I was discussing my grandma's recent behavior with a couple of Dr's I came into contact with. One was a Neurologist and the other was a psychologist, both agree that each story was "abnormal" definitely more than just "forgetfulness do to old age" but what exactly it's hard to say. I was directed to find the Dementia Center at UCLA and demand further testing on grandma, deeper than what they did back in December. I was also questioned about her Blood Sugar/ Diabetes. We do not have a history of Diabetes in our family so her blood sugar is not regularly tested but after certain symptoms a severe drop in blood sugar can effect memory and cause confusion which could maybe be an explanation for the confusion of where she lived and that my other Grandmother had passed away 19 years ago. 


Thursday 3/7/11: I made a call to grandma to talk to her about buying a blood sugar at home testing kit. It took about 20 min of back and forth conversation trying to explain why I was so interested in her blood sugar and why I needed her to test it ASAP. Since she goes out on Friday's to do her hair she agreed to stop by CVS and pick up the device.


Friday 3/8/11: I called her to check to see if she had been successful... She went to go do her hair. That was all. CVS had left her brain all together even though she had written herself a note. And again we went back and forth as to why I wanted to test this theory. "I don't have Diabetes" she tells me, "I know" I say, But I'm testing a theory grandma... after another few minutes she "understands" and writes down another set of directions and we hang up. This time I'm not taking any chances so I call the tenant that lives upstairs. We talk for awhile and I ask her to please take her, or make sure she gets this device. She says she will go talk to grandma and we leave it at that. This is also the day that my Uncle calls me to inform me that grandma has decided she wants a Kindle for her upcoming B-day! More on that later. 


Saturday 3/9/11: 11:30am I gave grandma a call because she was supposed to call me at 11. I followed up on what we talked about on Friday night, but again the recollection of needing to go to CVS was forgotten. This now marks the 3rd day I have had the exact same conversation with her.


Sunday 3/10/11: I actually didn't have to work this day, I should've gone out to grandma's house but I was so exhausted by everything I decided to take a ME day at Disneyland. I called grandma when I got home because she is usually busy on Sunday's with Church and lunch etc. yet again NO blood sugar device purchased. Again, I explained her her why I was interested and why I needed her buy this machine. Again, she wrote it down... We did also talk about her eating first thing in the morning before she started getting ready for her day, we shall see if that stuck. 


Monday 3/11/11: grandma was supposed to call me after she bought the device... NO CALL


Tuesday 3/12/11 I will be calling her tonight to remind her we have 2 appointments tomorrow and I will be bringing a device with me. The only problem is I need her to actually do it after I leave. 


I feel like a dog chasing my tail... So yes, Maybe I'm the one loosing my Mind!! 

Comments