Grandma Tries a Food Truck!

With all that's been going on the last few months I decided to give grandma a little break.

We did have to go see the Rheumatologist yesterday but after that I decided it would be fun to stock some food trucks!  The appointment went about as well as could be expected, she's still in pain, she's not happy with the wrist splint, She's trying to ignore the pain, exercise helps... She never really answers the doctors questions which I keep telling her isn't helping him to help her, but maybe one day it'll stick.

She ended up getting a steroid shot in her shoulder in the hopes that it could alleviate some of her pain... we shall see about that. She was very hesitant to get the shot which I found a little odd but she finally gave it and seemed to be happy with the decision. We were given a few new directions and options to consider so we'll see what happens in 9 weeks.

Grandma thinks every time my phone makes a sound it's a phone call or a text.

On the way to UCLA my phone was making noises, alerts about pending words with friends games, my artichokes were ready, Living Social coupons, etc. She laughed every time and asked what's that? Then while sitting in the waiting area for the Dr. I began checking everything while she read her book. In the Dr.'s office I had begun to stock the Grilled Cheese Truck. For the first time ever they were in an area I was in!! I immediately became excited and started searching for directions to the location. She glanced down at me when the Dr. stepped out of the room and asked "who are you texting?" I looked at her and said I'm not texting! I'm looking for directions. "to what?" she asked, for food! was my answer. I laughed and the Dr. came back in and gave her the shot.


The Trip to Overland/Washington in Culver City was an interesting one. We were both getting pretty hungry and I had no idea of how to get to where the trucks were but I had a general idea of where I needed to end up. As of recently grandma's ability to remember where things are has been unreliable so when she was trying to navigate me I kindly told her I would take the freeway and exit overland and follow the map. We got there no problem only I made a right first and not a left so I had to make a U-turn. By this time she was like, "they aren't here! there's a Subway stop there!" But they were there! Just behind a building. I was excited to share this experience with her and she wanted a Tuna Sandwich! I was trying to explain to her what these trucks were all about but she wasn't understanding. Once we parked and went to look at the menus I could see she was a little overwhelmed but she eventually  decided to try the Hawaiian Truck and get the Papaya teriyaki chicken. I went and stood in line for the grilled cheese truck and she went to eat her food. She also decided she wanted to try a smoothie from the Mambo Juice Truck and she was very excited! She enjoyed the chicken very much and loved the Kimchi it came with too! :) In line I even tried to explain to her what a Loco Moco was, she didn't see the appeal.  

All in all it was a good day! Next week is Grandma's bday!

Comments