If you haven't noticed, Grandma downplays EVERYTHING!
Nothing is ever that serious, it's nothing she can't try to ignore... and yet she loves to complain about it. I guess that is human nature, we all love to be heard.
Friday night: 3/18/11: I got several calls from my uncle demanding I call him back and of course I was at work so it was about an hour later that I was able to call and discover they had had a fall. Turns out they walked to the corner to go see a fallen tree and as they were walking back to the house and up the stairs my Uncle lost his balance fell backwards, and on his way down managed to bump grandma and take her down with him! She managed not to hit her head but her face and shoulder. By the time I called he was frantic and she was trying to calm him down and not complain too much because he was already beside himself! Crazy. She told me she was fine she was icing her face and she didn't hurt anything else. I called her again Sunday asked how she was doing, I asked about the black eye and she said "it's not a black eye, more of a pink eye" not having seen her I couldn't picture what she was talking about so I didn't push further. Monday when I went over she has a full blown Black eye!! Her eyeball is red I guess a blood vessel in her eye burst, and yes in fact she has a Black eye! She laughed it off and said it's not that bad. I asked her if this was her first black eye at 83 years old and she said NO... I was shocked. I've never had a black eye before, but apparently grandma was a "tomboy" and managed to get a black eye at least once before in her lifetime. No thank you! I am about as girlie girl as your gonna get.
Monday 3/21/11: It's time to get a wrist splint!
Because of her ever growing Lymphedema (swelling) in her right arm she has alot of issues with movement and pain. It was finally recommended to us she get a wrist splint to alleviate some of this pain. Shopping for a splint is almost as fun as shopping for school shoes! There are SO many to choose from but of course she wants something that won't get wet when she washes her hands or does the dishes, she wants a short one, she wants a wrist band.... Does any of this exist? YES, oh yes it does. We finally found one that met all her criteria so lets see how she does with it.
Once we left UCLA we were gonna do 3 things, Lunch, Barnes & Noble, & the bank... She was Hungry of course so the focus was gone. But I thought I had it all under control. We'll drive to the grove because that's where the bookstore is, and they have food there, on the way home we'll stop at the bank... Wrong! On our way to the Grove she saw a bank, remembered she needed to stop there but I was in the wrong lane, how was I gonna get to it from here? I told her I didn't plan on stopping there first, to which she replied "Well how are we gonna pay for lunch with out cash?" Well there is always the debt card, but never mind I went forward made a U-turn and pulled into the bank. Now the kicker is she doesn't have her account number or her PIN number... how did she think she was gonna get her money? We had her debit card and we were gonna talk to a banker but the wait was too long and she was HUNGRY. We left the bank to find food also discovering she had plenty of cash in her wallet.
Johnny Rockets! There is a Johnny Rockets at the Grove so that's where I took her. She'd never been so I thought it would be a fun change. She loved it and even got herself a strawberry shake! In the picture you can see her enjoying her shake, see her splint and have a glimpse of her black eye. Of course when we left the Grove we didn't go to the bookstore, we decided on something else for her bday, and she didn't want to go back to the bank.
Later once we were home talking she said to me "well I'm really Lucky, At least I don't have Wrinkles" some people aren't as lucky! Gotta love her!
Nothing is ever that serious, it's nothing she can't try to ignore... and yet she loves to complain about it. I guess that is human nature, we all love to be heard.
Friday night: 3/18/11: I got several calls from my uncle demanding I call him back and of course I was at work so it was about an hour later that I was able to call and discover they had had a fall. Turns out they walked to the corner to go see a fallen tree and as they were walking back to the house and up the stairs my Uncle lost his balance fell backwards, and on his way down managed to bump grandma and take her down with him! She managed not to hit her head but her face and shoulder. By the time I called he was frantic and she was trying to calm him down and not complain too much because he was already beside himself! Crazy. She told me she was fine she was icing her face and she didn't hurt anything else. I called her again Sunday asked how she was doing, I asked about the black eye and she said "it's not a black eye, more of a pink eye" not having seen her I couldn't picture what she was talking about so I didn't push further. Monday when I went over she has a full blown Black eye!! Her eyeball is red I guess a blood vessel in her eye burst, and yes in fact she has a Black eye! She laughed it off and said it's not that bad. I asked her if this was her first black eye at 83 years old and she said NO... I was shocked. I've never had a black eye before, but apparently grandma was a "tomboy" and managed to get a black eye at least once before in her lifetime. No thank you! I am about as girlie girl as your gonna get.
Monday 3/21/11: It's time to get a wrist splint!
Because of her ever growing Lymphedema (swelling) in her right arm she has alot of issues with movement and pain. It was finally recommended to us she get a wrist splint to alleviate some of this pain. Shopping for a splint is almost as fun as shopping for school shoes! There are SO many to choose from but of course she wants something that won't get wet when she washes her hands or does the dishes, she wants a short one, she wants a wrist band.... Does any of this exist? YES, oh yes it does. We finally found one that met all her criteria so lets see how she does with it.
Once we left UCLA we were gonna do 3 things, Lunch, Barnes & Noble, & the bank... She was Hungry of course so the focus was gone. But I thought I had it all under control. We'll drive to the grove because that's where the bookstore is, and they have food there, on the way home we'll stop at the bank... Wrong! On our way to the Grove she saw a bank, remembered she needed to stop there but I was in the wrong lane, how was I gonna get to it from here? I told her I didn't plan on stopping there first, to which she replied "Well how are we gonna pay for lunch with out cash?" Well there is always the debt card, but never mind I went forward made a U-turn and pulled into the bank. Now the kicker is she doesn't have her account number or her PIN number... how did she think she was gonna get her money? We had her debit card and we were gonna talk to a banker but the wait was too long and she was HUNGRY. We left the bank to find food also discovering she had plenty of cash in her wallet.Johnny Rockets! There is a Johnny Rockets at the Grove so that's where I took her. She'd never been so I thought it would be a fun change. She loved it and even got herself a strawberry shake! In the picture you can see her enjoying her shake, see her splint and have a glimpse of her black eye. Of course when we left the Grove we didn't go to the bookstore, we decided on something else for her bday, and she didn't want to go back to the bank.
![]() |
| this crazy woman! |


Comments
Post a Comment