Let's try something New!

In my last post I COMPLETELY forgot one very important conversation I had with grandma on the way home from the doctor's office. 


How can we control your pain. While we were talking to the Neuro-Psych doctor I discovered that she was again playing with her meds. She's been on some form of narcotic based pain reliever since December of last year to control her pain from Knee Surgery then to control her pain from Arthritis. I have never been uncomfortable with her taking so much of it but the Dr. kept saying it was a low enough dose that she shouldn't have too many side effects. Fast forward to today and I think the drugs may be playing a larger role in her memory loss than we think and that's also a reason why we had the consult with Neuro-Psych.


On the car ride home I casually brought up a few alternatives to the drugs since she felt so strongly about staying away from narcotics but other things like Tylenol don't work as well. I offered her the suggestion of Medical Marijuana! You would have thought I was offering her a crack pipe the way she initially responded but then I broke it down a little for her letting her know what I knew about it. Not ever using it myself my knowledge is very limited but I have heard testimonials from a few people in my circle as well as celebrity's like Montel Williams who suffers from MS. Why Not? Is all I could say. I couldn't imagine that the long term side effects could be any worse than everything else she has tried. She relaxed a little and began listening to the pros of it and decided she would talk it over with her Dr. and go from there. 


The next day she spoke to her Dr. and he agreed that it could be something she might get benefits from but given her age and the type of pain she has he was unsure of how successful it would really be. He agreed to send her a prescription and she could give it a try. She received her card about the middle of the week and had her friend take her to a dispensary. She ended up with trial mix and some chocolate mints. I got a call from her on Friday while I was at Disneyland and asked if I could call her back in about 20 min when I was back in my car. She agreed and by the time I called her back she had already forgotten why she had called me to begin with. We chatted for a little while and I noticed she was having a little trouble following the conversation, once I finally figured out she had received her card and what she had done I couldn't help but laugh! She was HIGH! She was trying to work on something for church and trying to talk to me and couldn't do both. She was feeling dizzy and a little floaty is how she described it. I told her I would get off the phone and call her back the next day when she could relax a little more. I hung up and laughed out loud to myself! Early Saturday Morning I got a call from her. She was a little more focused on what she wanted to say and after the events of the night before she had decided that maybe this wasn't the right pain reliever she hoped it would be. She also realized that for the first time in her 83 years she was High. She plans on going back to the Dr. to see how they can best control what she feels. I think she needs to realized that there is no magic pill that is going to make her feel NO pain but there has got to be something that can make her a little more comfortable.


The Quest Continues... 

Comments