Since my last post Grandma has been back to the Dr. tasted In N Out, and learned how to add and remove rows in Word. She has also managed to replace the iPod & dock AGAIN!!!
First, last friday we went back to UCLA for her 6 weeks follow up. Everything with her health is good. Blood Pressure is stable, pain is manageable and she's over all in good spirits. She did ask the doctor about her other knee that has now been giving her some pain, but nothing is going to happen with that for the time being. The second thing she asked was about the problems she's been having with her memory. So the Dr. began asking her a series of questions to gather a little more information once I also expressed concerns about what she was forgetting. She scored 27 out of 30 points so not enough to be worried about Alzheimer's but still something to keep an eye on. The questions she missed were 1. Do you know the date today? she did not. 2. What month is it? she didn't know until later. 3. she was told 3 words to remember and recall them later which she could only recall 1. The doctor said she is still learning but she just needs help recalling things and as long as she keeps active and writing things down she should be OK.
Once we left the Medical Center I had already planned what we would be having for lunch. In N Out!!! She's never had it and there is one in Westwood, Perfect! Well I should have remembered that UCLA has no parking and it gets very congested in the area but at 2pm I didn't think we would have an issue. I was Wrong! I was able to find parking at the gas station across the street left her in the car ran across the street place our order and then we ate in the car. I ordered her a Cheeseburger combo with a strawberry shake and I got my usual double double protein style with a chocolate shake and shared her fires. Her very first bite she was impressed! The first thing she said was "this is good". I laughed and watched her take another bite and she was really enjoying it especially the shake. I began telling her about In N Out and why it was so special and all about the University and the secret menu. She was looking at me as though I was speaking a foreign language. It was pretty funny.
First, last friday we went back to UCLA for her 6 weeks follow up. Everything with her health is good. Blood Pressure is stable, pain is manageable and she's over all in good spirits. She did ask the doctor about her other knee that has now been giving her some pain, but nothing is going to happen with that for the time being. The second thing she asked was about the problems she's been having with her memory. So the Dr. began asking her a series of questions to gather a little more information once I also expressed concerns about what she was forgetting. She scored 27 out of 30 points so not enough to be worried about Alzheimer's but still something to keep an eye on. The questions she missed were 1. Do you know the date today? she did not. 2. What month is it? she didn't know until later. 3. she was told 3 words to remember and recall them later which she could only recall 1. The doctor said she is still learning but she just needs help recalling things and as long as she keeps active and writing things down she should be OK.
Once we left the Medical Center I had already planned what we would be having for lunch. In N Out!!! She's never had it and there is one in Westwood, Perfect! Well I should have remembered that UCLA has no parking and it gets very congested in the area but at 2pm I didn't think we would have an issue. I was Wrong! I was able to find parking at the gas station across the street left her in the car ran across the street place our order and then we ate in the car. I ordered her a Cheeseburger combo with a strawberry shake and I got my usual double double protein style with a chocolate shake and shared her fires. Her very first bite she was impressed! The first thing she said was "this is good". I laughed and watched her take another bite and she was really enjoying it especially the shake. I began telling her about In N Out and why it was so special and all about the University and the secret menu. She was looking at me as though I was speaking a foreign language. It was pretty funny.
![]() |
| Before the first bite. |
![]() |
| First bite!! |
Once we got home from our little adventure I walked into the Kitchen only to realize that the radio was different! WTH?! The first thing I said was "what is this?" to which she replied "it's a radio" Well now, at least she still has her sense of humor... I asked her why she changed it again? To which her responds was because she could... Now the iPod with Dock is sitting in her office, probably never going to be used. Last time I listen to her when she says she wants something.
Now grandma is very active in church, in her community and with her "career" she is still the secretary of the board of Friends of School Mental Health. She was in charge of updating the donation list but she couldn't remember how to add or remove the names on the list. So Monday and Tuesday I got a call from her asking for help. She was doing this in WORD. So I think the next time I spend the day there I will teach her how to use Excel. Even so at 83 she is very active on her computer. I'm impressed!


Comments
Post a Comment