Toe Amputation, Part 1

I'm not entirely sure when it started but since Dec-Jan. we noticed one of her toes had begun crossing under the rest of her toes causing her a great deal of pain because she has been walking on the toe. So we finally found a doctor willing to take it off. 


The fun started at 10am this morning when I picked her up for her Pre-Op appointment. Because I'm driving and even though I've been to UCLA medical center about 1000 times since December she still always tells me how to get there and that I'm in the wrong lane. Once we arrive, park and sign in we wait... In the waiting room she pulls out her book (romance novel) and I pull out my phone. She asked me "are you texting?" To which I responded, "No, I'm tweeting!" she nods her head and about a minute later she asks "what's tweeting?" I went into a brief explanation about twitter and facebook and how people can do it from their phones. She just shook her head and said "I just don't understand all these gadgets!" and laughed.


Once in the Doctors office this is when my memory kicks in and I suddenly become the parent. I know what meds she's on, what the previous doctors have said and what happens next, and she just nods and remembers some back story about how she was a PE major in undergrad, and completely believes in exercise... to which she does nothing about now... but once her pain is gone that SHOULD change. We'll see. 


We went from UCLA to Torrance to confirm the surgery and she was so excited to finally meet the secretary who was very patient with her on the phone because she has been struggling with her memory as of late. To her credit she is 83... She gave the lady a hug before we left because she was so excited and she was very happy to give her one. 


*Side note: while leaving UCLA and seeing a girl in platform heels she commented on how never in her life had she ever worn shoes like that and didn't like them because they looked dangerous... she asked me what I thought, I said "depends on what kind of danger you want to get into" She was pretty amused.


For lunch we went to the Elephant Bar because she had a $10 gift card! I'll have to get into how slow and how little she eats in a different post because that in itself is hilarious. We started with sweet potato fries, I got a Ahi Tuna Bowl, she got the Asian Chicken Salad... 1/2 of which she most likely had for dinner later. After stating she was too full to finish her salad the waitress brought over the dessert menu... I've never seen her get SO excited. It was hilarious to watch. She instantly opted for the Mini Chocolate Brownie and luckily for me it had peanuts so I could resist. She basically told me "well I LOVE NUTS" and more for her. LOL She was so excited to eat it she actually did a happy dance (one I do too) I couldn't help but laugh. Somewhere between the main course and dessert she notice a male waiter who she called a "hustler" because he walked so fast and always in a hurry, then she said "and he's cute too" when I burst into laughter she shrugged her shoulders and said very matter of fact "I can appreciate men still, I'm not dead, but I'm not trying to rob the cradle either" We managed to make our way out of the restaurant without much more of a scene and made our way to Target where we were gonna buy her a replacement ipod dock, this time with a radio. We finally found one she could use and she even agreed to let me reset all the radios again and start using the ipod. 


We got home and I set everything up, set her 2 stations and loaded her ipod. about 1 hour later tested her on how to operate the new machines and so far so good! We'll have to see if it sticks by Thursday!!


Here's what we ended up with! 


Thursday the toe comes off! Wish us luck!! :) 

Comments