Happy Father's Day

January 12, 2002 is the day all our lives changed.


This is the day my Dad was robbed of his life and this is the day that we all base our present on. 


In April of that year my grandma turned 75, and because we had all had a rough few months I decided to throw her a surprise birthday party. It was a great turn out I even managed to gather all her old friends that she hadn't seen in at least 10 years. I think this party was something we all needed to start filling the void of my dad not being around. 


Now my grandma is a very strong willed woman and I have NEVER seen her cry, even on that day, but today 8 years later she will attribute much of her pain and deterioration to the loss of my dad. She will say I was fine until I turn 75 then all her problems started but only once have I ever heard her say "because that's when my son died". 


As the oldest child it was my responsibility to sign all the paperwork for my dad's final resting place and this experience also let me know that when the time came for my grandma to meet my dad that responsibility would also be mine and I've spent the last 8 years accepting and fearing that day. However, never in the last 8 year have I felt as close to my Grandma as I have in these last 7 months. I have gotten to know her as more than just a grandmother but as a real person with real pain and a whole life before I was born. Every time I spend  a day with her she says to me that My brother and I are the best things he could have ever left her and she is so happy she has us in place of my dad.  My favorite day's are always days when we just start talking about him and we can remember all the adventures and laughs we used to share. Of course now because her age has caught up with her and she can't get around as well as she used to all we can do is remember.


So being that today is Father's Day I thought I would remember some of the days I shared with my dad here because with out him I wouldn't have a grandma to tell funny stories about.


My first memory of my dad happened when I was 5 years old (although there is constant debate that I was 4) but my appendix burst and I had to be rushed to the hospital. I had to undergo emergency surgery and spent 1 week in the hospital. I thought this was Awesome! My mom and grandparents took turns staying with me and most of the neighborhood came to visit me but what I remember the most is when my dad came to see me. I'm sure seeing his little girl lying in a hospital bed with tubes hanging all around me was difficult but he made me feel so much better. After spending a few hours with me and noticing that I hadn't eaten my food he left and came back a short time later with a bag of Jack in the Box stuffed into his jacket. I could have not been happier!! I don't remember much after that but having to have my stitches taken out about a week later and my dad telling me to stay strong and not to show the doctor it hurt and with that I kicked the doctor right in the stomach! OPPS... I don't think that's what he meant. 


As a teenager my dad and I were very close we could talk for hours on the phone and I knew I could ask him anything and he would somehow come up with answer. Those are what I would call "Dad Questions". Things like Why are you upside down on the back side of the spoon or why do I have to learn this again?  He taught me how to drive, he taught me how to ride my bike without training wheels and he taught me that the Dallas Cowboys are the greatest team in the NFL! (sometimes) 


I was 19 when my Dad was taken from me and even with all the great memories I have of him there is so much I wish I could share with him, my wedding, my children, the start of my own business. I just hope that he really is watching over me everyday and he is proud of the woman I've become Because HE was my DAD. 


Happy Father's  Day Daddy, I Love you... More! 
Norman "Terry" Howard
Oct. 11, 1955 - Jan. 12, 2002

Comments