Yes you read that correctly, My grandma wanted an iPod for her last birthday. This past April my Grandma decided she want one of those devices that played all the music on the radio whenever she wanted.
This is how the story goes:
Sometime in March about a month before my Grandma's 83rd B-day I got a phone call from her. Now I see her about once a week and she only calls me to schedule a Dr.'s appointment or to invite me somewhere. This call was different, she had been thinking... about her birthday! So naturally I was intrigued because by this time I've discovered that my Grandma is a pack rat and the idea of what to get her for her b-day was difficult.
So she began the conversation saying she was sitting at her kitchen table the other day and she was really enjoying the music playing on the radio (The Wave) and wouldn't it be nice if she could listen to that song anytime she wanted... I sat in my chair listening in disbelief, could she possibly be talking about an iPod??? So I asked her "are you telling me you want an iPod?" to which she responded is that what they are called? Naturally I burst into laughter at the idea, but that's what she wanted.
Over the next few weeks I wanted to confirm that this is indeed what she wanted, I showed her mine, along with the earphones. We even went to Target & I took her over to the electronics department and pointed out all the different colors and docking systems. She was still very certain this is what she wanted. My next assignment was getting my brother and uncle to help me pay for it.
I went to Costco found a black one for her and asked my brother and his mom to buy her a nice dock so she could listen with out earphones. Everything was perfect!
April 8th came and that Saturday we all took her to BJ's for a nice birthday dinner and to give her the amazing gift she had asked for. She was SO excited when she opened it! We immediately showed her how to use it and I had already loaded it with 691 songs she would hear on her favorite station. How perfect could this be. Now all I had to do was take the gift card to Best Buy and get her the dock. easy enough, right?
Well fast forward about a month and a half later and I finally found a nice one, small and pretty good sound. So one day after we went to the doctor I dropped her off at the Beauty Salon and went to the house to clean up and set it all up for her. I moved the kitchen radio to her bedroom, the bedroom radio to the closet and everything was great! I picked her up and showed her all i had done and how to work the iPod on the dock. She was excited and was enjoying the collection of music. THEN...
less than one week later I went over to pick her up for another doctor's appointment as I walked into the kitchen there it was!!!! The old kitchen radio was back in the kitchen and the old boom box was back in her bedroom! WHAT!? How could this be? Turns out the very next day she went to her radio and just couldn't figure out what she wanted it to do... She listens to the news in the morning and music in the afternoon and what I had done was not working for her. So now her iPod and the dock are neatly stacked on her kitchen table NOT being used. :(
These are the wonderful words of wisdom she gave me when I asked her about it, "Well I said it would make a good gift for me, I never said I would use it!"
Stay Tuned...
This is how the story goes:
Sometime in March about a month before my Grandma's 83rd B-day I got a phone call from her. Now I see her about once a week and she only calls me to schedule a Dr.'s appointment or to invite me somewhere. This call was different, she had been thinking... about her birthday! So naturally I was intrigued because by this time I've discovered that my Grandma is a pack rat and the idea of what to get her for her b-day was difficult.
So she began the conversation saying she was sitting at her kitchen table the other day and she was really enjoying the music playing on the radio (The Wave) and wouldn't it be nice if she could listen to that song anytime she wanted... I sat in my chair listening in disbelief, could she possibly be talking about an iPod??? So I asked her "are you telling me you want an iPod?" to which she responded is that what they are called? Naturally I burst into laughter at the idea, but that's what she wanted.
Over the next few weeks I wanted to confirm that this is indeed what she wanted, I showed her mine, along with the earphones. We even went to Target & I took her over to the electronics department and pointed out all the different colors and docking systems. She was still very certain this is what she wanted. My next assignment was getting my brother and uncle to help me pay for it.
I went to Costco found a black one for her and asked my brother and his mom to buy her a nice dock so she could listen with out earphones. Everything was perfect!
April 8th came and that Saturday we all took her to BJ's for a nice birthday dinner and to give her the amazing gift she had asked for. She was SO excited when she opened it! We immediately showed her how to use it and I had already loaded it with 691 songs she would hear on her favorite station. How perfect could this be. Now all I had to do was take the gift card to Best Buy and get her the dock. easy enough, right?
Well fast forward about a month and a half later and I finally found a nice one, small and pretty good sound. So one day after we went to the doctor I dropped her off at the Beauty Salon and went to the house to clean up and set it all up for her. I moved the kitchen radio to her bedroom, the bedroom radio to the closet and everything was great! I picked her up and showed her all i had done and how to work the iPod on the dock. She was excited and was enjoying the collection of music. THEN...
less than one week later I went over to pick her up for another doctor's appointment as I walked into the kitchen there it was!!!! The old kitchen radio was back in the kitchen and the old boom box was back in her bedroom! WHAT!? How could this be? Turns out the very next day she went to her radio and just couldn't figure out what she wanted it to do... She listens to the news in the morning and music in the afternoon and what I had done was not working for her. So now her iPod and the dock are neatly stacked on her kitchen table NOT being used. :(
These are the wonderful words of wisdom she gave me when I asked her about it, "Well I said it would make a good gift for me, I never said I would use it!"
Stay Tuned...
Darling I love this blog... Great job... I know how you feel because I have been there time and time again with my 90 year old southern bell of a grandmother... I'm looking forward to your next blog...
ReplyDelete-Ronnie